English Placement Testing
Students need to register for Orientation prior to taking any placement tests. If you have not completed this process, visit the go.osu.edu/new2mans for details and directions.
Academic advisors use the score you receive on this test to determine the appropriate English course you should take during your first semester at Ohio State. Students are automatically assigned to take this exam when their highest officially reported ACT English score is below 19 or SAT evidence-based reading and writing score is below 490 unless they qualify for an exemption.
Be sure you have requested your official ACT/SAT/AP scores and/or transcripts from other institutions to be sent electronically to Ohio State to ensure proper Placement Testing assignment and avoid taking unnecessary exams.
WHO NEEDS TO TAKE IT?
- Your To Do List in My Buckeye Link will indicate if you need to take the English Placement Test
- Students must take the English Placement Test unless they have received transfer credit for English 1110.01 or have an official score report on file with Ohio State with one of the following as true:
- ACT English score of 19 or higher
- SAT evidence-based reading and writing score of 490 or higher
- AP score of 3 or higher in English Composition
- If you believe you have already submitted an official score/transcript that qualifies you for an exemption and English Placement Test Required checklist item remains on your To Do List, contact the Orientation and Placement Testing Office at 419-755-4203 as soon as possible.
HOW DO I PREPARE?
- The test is a 100-minute exam in which students will read two excerpts and then writing an essay in response to a prompt
- The exam needs to be taken in one sitting, so be sure to have 100 minutes of uninterrupted time available
- Students will use Carmen, Ohio State’s virtual learning environment, to take the English Placement Test
- It is recommended that students take the exam on a desktop/laptop and not on a phone
- To request testing accommodations, contact the Office of Disability Services at firstname.lastname@example.org or 419-755-4304.
TAKE ENGLISH PLACEMENT TEST
When you are ready to take the English Placement Test, follow the directions below:
Step 1: Log into carmen.osu.edu using your Ohio State username and password
Step 2: Select “English Placement Test- Mansfield” from My Courses
Step 3: Complete the test as instructed
AFTER TAKING THE TEST
- Your essay will be evaluated by two or more Ohio State Mansfield Writing faculty
- You can learn your score on your English Placement Test when you meet with your academic advisor as the final step in the Orientation process