English Placement Testing
Students need to register for Orientation prior to taking any placement tests. If you have not completed this process, visit the Ohio State Mansfield Orientation webpage for details and directions. Within two business days of registering for Orientation, you will have access to the English Placement Test.
Academic advisors use the score you receive on this test to determine the appropriate English course you should take during your first year at Ohio State. Students are automatically assigned to take this exam unless they qualify for an exemption based on ACT/SAT score or English Composition transfer credit.
Be sure you have requested your official ACT/SAT/AP scores and/or transcripts from other institutions to be sent electronically to Ohio State to ensure proper Placement Testing assignment and avoid taking unnecessary exams. Directions to request official transcripts/score reports
WHO NEEDS TO TAKE IT?
- Your To Do List in My Buckeye Link will indicate if you need to take the English Placement Test
- Students must take the English Placement Test unless they have received transfer credit for English 1101.01 or have an official score report on file with Ohio State with one of the following as true:
- ACT English score of 19 or higher
- SAT Evidence-Based Reading and Writing score of 490 or higher
- AP score of 3 or higher in English Composition
- If you believe you have already submitted an official score/transcript that qualifies you for an exemption and "English Placement Test Required" appears on your To Do List, contact the Orientation and Placement Testing Office at 419-755-4203 as soon as possible.
HOW DO I PREPARE?
- The test is a 100-minute exam in which students will read two excerpts and then write an essay in response to a prompt
- The exam needs to be taken in one sitting, so be sure to have 100 minutes of uninterrupted time available
- Students will use Carmen, Ohio State’s virtual learning environment, to take the English Placement Test
- It is recommended that students take the exam on a desktop/laptop and not on a phone and use Chrome as the browser
- If you have entered the test and experience technical difficulties which do not allow you to complete the test, you need to contact the Orientation and Placement Testing Office at 419-755-4203 as soon as possible to request access
- To request testing accommodations, contact the Office of Disability Services at firstname.lastname@example.org or 419-755-4304.
TAKE ENGLISH PLACEMENT TEST
When you are ready to take the English Placement Test, follow the directions below:
Step 1: Log into carmen.osu.edu using your Ohio State username and password
Step 2: Select “English Placement Test- Mansfield” from My Courses
Step 3: Review the directions for the test and then complete the test as instructed
AFTER TAKING THE TEST
- Your essay will be evaluated by two or more Ohio State Mansfield Writing faculty
- You can learn your score on your English Placement Test when you meet with an academic advisor as the final step in the Orientation process