Foreign Language Placement Testing
Students need to register for Orientation prior to taking any placement tests. If you have not completed this process, visit the go.osu.edu/new2mans for details and directions.
The purpose of the Foreign Language Placement Test is to determine which language course best fits the needs of students who have previously studied a foreign language. If you studied French, German, Spanish or Spanish Heritage for two or more years in high school, you are required to take the Foreign Language Placement Test unless you qualify for an exemption. If you studied a language other than French, German or Spanish for two or more years in high school, please contact the Orientation and Placement Testing Office at 419-755-4203 to learn about testing options.
Be sure you have requested your official ACT/SAT/AP scores and/or transcripts from other institutions to be sent electronically to Ohio State to ensure proper Placement Testing assignment and avoid taking unnecessary exams.
WHO NEEDS TO TAKE IT?
- Your To Do List in My Buckeye Link will indicate if you need to take the Foreign Language Placement Test
- Students who did not take at least two years of a foreign language do not take the exam
- Students who have received transfer credit for a foreign language or who have an official foreign language AP score report of 3 or above on file with Ohio State are exempt from taking the test
- If you believe you have already submitted an official score/transcript that qualifies you for an exemption and English Placement Test Required checklist item remains on your To Do List, contact the Orientation and Placement Testing Office at 419-755-4203 as soon as possible.
HOW DO I PREPARE?
- Students have up to 60 minutes to take the Foreign Language Placement Test for the language they took in high school
- The exam is available Monday-Friday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- The exam needs to be taken in one sitting and students can take the exam only once, so be sure to have 60 minutes of uninterrupted time available
- The test will be administered using MultiCAT
- Students are encouraged to review information about the Foreign Language Placement Exam provided by the Center for Languages, Literatures and Cultures prior to taking the test
- Students will not be able to take the Foreign Language Placement Exam on university holidays which are Memorial Day (Monday, May 25) or Independence Day Observation (Friday, July 3)
- To request testing accommodations, contact the Office of Disability Services at email@example.com or 419-755-4304.
TAKE FOREIGN LANGUAGE PLACEMENT TEST
When ready to take the Foreign Language Placement Test, follow the directions below:
- Go to: https://cllc.osu.edu/undergraduate/testing
- Click on the following link which is a PDF Document: MultiCAT Language Placement Testing 2020.pdf
- Review that document and then on page 4, you will find the “Student Testing Instructions” for the MultiCAT test
- Click the “here” link within the first line of instruction to unlock your computer
- Have the code available when you visit the test site which is http://multicat.osu.edu/unlock
- You will also need to log in using your Ohio State user name and password.
AFTER TAKING THE TEST
- Your test score will be shown at the end of the exam and will also be sent to your Ohio State email
- The Center for Languages, Literatures and Cultures provides detailed information about how to interpret your Foreign Language Placement Test score