Students need to register for Orientation prior to taking any placement tests. If you have not completed this process, visit the Ohio State Mansfield Orientation webpage for details and directions. Within two business days of registering for Orientation, you will have access to the English Placement module.
Students will go through this self-guided exercise to determine the appropriate English writing course they should take during their first year at Ohio State. Students are automatically assigned to take English Placement unless they qualify for an exemption based on English Composition transfer credit.
Be sure you have requested your official transcripts from other institutions to be sent electronically to Ohio State to ensure proper English placement assignment and avoid taking unnecessary exams. Directions to request official transcripts/score reports
WHO NEEDS TO TAKE IT?
- Your To Do List in My Buckeye Link will indicate if you need to complete the English Placement
- Students must complete English Placement unless they have received transfer credit for English 1110
- If you believe you have already submitted an official transcript that qualifies you for an exemption and "English Placement Required" appears on your To Do List, contact the Orientation and Placement Testing Office at 419-755-4317 as soon as possible.
HOW DO I PREPARE?
- Students will answer reflective questions on their writing, reading, and academic success skills and experiences
- After answering these questions, students will read class descriptions and decide which class is the best fit for them
- We recommend setting aside 60 minutes of uninterrupted time to complete this exercise
- Students will use Carmen, Ohio State’s virtual learning environment, to complete the English placement
- It is recommended that students complete the module on a desktop/laptop and not on a phone and use Chrome as the browser
- If you have entered the module and experience technical difficulties which do not allow you to complete the module, you need to contact the Orientation and Placement Testing Office at 419-755-4317 as soon as possible to request access
- To request testing accommodations, contact the Office of Disability Services at email@example.com or 419-755-4304.
COMPLETE ENGLISH PLACEMENT MODULE
When you are ready to complete English Placement, follow the directions below:
Step 1: Log into carmen.osu.edu using your Ohio State username and password
Step 2: Select “Writing Placement - Mansfield” from My Courses
Step 3: Review the directions and then complete the module as instructed
AFTER COMPLETING THE MODULE
- If you are unsure about the writing course you selected, you will have an opportunity to speak with a writing program consultant who is knowledgeable about the writing course options and can help you finalize your decision
- Your academic advisor will help you schedule your English course as part of the final step in the Orientation process