Academy Orientation and Placement Testing
Mathematics Placement Testing
*Do I need to take the Math Placement Test?
If you were admitted to the Academy with no conditions and want to take a math or science course OR you were admitted with the restriction of only math or science courses you must complete the math placement test.
ACCUPLACER is an ACT/SAT substitute for the Academy program and does not exempt you from the Math Department's math assessment.
However, you may not need the math assessment if you can present evidence of one of the following:
- You received credit for a College Credit Plus math course that is equal to a specific Ohio State math course, that is not remedial. We must receive an official copy of your transcript before scheduling classes.
- You received your AP Calculus test scores prior to your orientation session, and you received a score of 3, 4, or 5 on the AB or BC exam. (You must have an official copy of your AP test scores sent to Ohio State. For details on how to send your scores, contact College Boards' AP Services at 888-225-5427.)
- You received your IB scores and received a score of 4 or higher on the higher level math exam. (You must have an official copy of your IB test scores sent to Ohio State. For details on how to send your scores, contact the IB Program.)
It is strongly recommended you take the Mathematics Skills Assessment if one of the following applies:
- You took the AP calculus exam and are unable to present a score of 3, 4, or 5 on either of the AB or BC calculus exams at the time of your orientation program.
- You took the higher level IB math exam and are unable to present a score of 4 or higher at the time of your orientation program.
Why do I have to take the Math Placement Test?
Placement tests help determine the appropriate first course for you to take in Ohio State’s course sequence and can satisfy math prerequisites for courses. You will not be able to schedule math-related courses without math placement test scores. No course credit is given for the test, nor does the test fulfill any math requirements.
If you are NOT interested in taking a math course or a natural science course with a math prerequisite, you are not required to take the math placement test.
How long is the Math Placement Test?
The test has a time limit of 75 minutes.
What topics will be covered on the Math Placement Test?
Test B (arithmetic, algebra, and geometry)
ACT math score of 24 or lower (SAT math score of 580 or lower | Accuplacer math score of 263 or higher)
Test D (pre-calculus)
ACT math score of 25 or higher (SAT math score of 590 or higher | Test B score of 35+)
Can I prepare for the Math Placement Test?
You are encouraged to review the appropriate topics prior to taking the test.
Study. Review. Practice.
To perform your best, review the sample problems, exam topics, and additional information which can be found on the Department of Mathematics website.
The test is multiple choice with only one correct answer per question. Partial credit is not given.
What can I use when taking the Math Placement Test?
You may use scratch paper, a pencil and a scientific graphing calculator. Calculators with computer symbolic algebra or QWERTY keyboards, such as the TI-89 or TI-92, are not permitted.
I have an unreported ACT or SAT math score that would qualify for Test D
Submit a copy of your ACT/SAT score report via email. Questions, call 419-755-4203.
How do I take the Math Placement Test?
Math placement testing will take place December 11 at 3:30 p.m. RSVP at Register Here.
Foreign Language Placement Testing
Do I need to take the Foreign Language Placement Test?
Foreign language testing is recommended for students who have completed two or more consecutive years of the same language in high school and will not continue to take that language in the high school. You can only take the foreign language test once.
Why should I take the Foreign Language Placement Test?
Some majors at Ohio State have a foreign language requirement. Even if not required, course credit may be earned that is applicable to graduation.
How do I take the Foreign Language Placement Test?
- The foreign language placement test can only be taken on-campus.
- Only French, German, or Spanish testing is available at Ohio State Mansfield.
- Students who wish to take advantage of this placement testing should indicate such when registering for orientation.
What does a Foreign Language Placement Test include?
The test includes vocabulary, grammar, and reading comprehension in a multiple-choice format.
How long is the Foreign Language Placement Test
French, German, or Spanish
Statistics of past testers show the average test-taking time is approximately 30 minutes.
When do I take the Foreign Language Placement Test?
Students who wish to take advantage of foreign language placement testing must call 419-755-4317 to make arrangements.
Academy To Do List
- Accept your admission to the Academy, if you have not already done so.
- Activate your Ohio State username and password, if you have not already done so.
- Enable and begin using your Ohio State email account for all university communication, if you have not already done so.
- Register for orientation & placement testing.
- Complete the Financial Responsibility Statement at buckeyelink.osu.edu. You cannot schedule classes until this is completed.
Register to Attend Orientation & Complete Placement Testing
|Parent-Student Orientation Program:
Monday, December 16 2:00 p.m. (229 Riedl Hall)
Optional Campus Tour at 1:30 p.m. prior to Orientation Program
Class scheduling will occur after the Orientation Program, 3:30-5 p.m.
Math Placement testing (if needed or required):
Wednesday, December 11, 3:30 p.m. (229 Riedl Hall)
Getting to campus
If you have questions about completing placement testing or attending orientation, please contact us.
Monday – Friday 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Please identify yourself as an Academy student