The Ohio State University at Mansfield

Student Assistance Program

What is the Ohio State Mansfield Student Assistance Program?

This program provides a number of services including access to the New Directions website. This website provides access to information about Ask A Counselor, life skills groups, interactive screenings, financial and legal assistance, MP-3 recordings on a variety of topics, and a host of other tools. New Directions also provides students with the opportunity for an evaluation, brief counseling, and referral services for a variety of problems. Early detection and assistance often can prevent small problems from becoming serious problems. New Directions offers personal and confidential assistance for a wide range of concerns including:

  • Stress, depression, and other emotional health issues
  • Relationship concerns (romantic, roommate, family and friends)
  • Alcohol or drug use or misuse
  • Food and body image concerns
  • Parenting challenges
  • Sexual identity
  • College adjustment issues
  • Personal trauma
  • Academic performance concerns, test anxiety
  • Unplanned pregnancy
  • Balancing college, work, and home
  • Other matters that are having a stressful impact on your life

How does a student schedule an appointment?

To schedule an appointment, students should call New Directions at (419) 529-9941 or (888) 805-1561. Please let the staff know if the concern is an emergency.

What are the qualifications of the psychologist?

Service is provided by clinical psychologist, Blake Wagner, Ph.D. and his colleagues. Dr. Wagner is a native of Mansfield and attended Ohio State Mansfield from 1978-1980. He has provided psychological services to adults and their families for more than 20 years.

How much does the service cost?

There is no cost to students for these services. It is provided in partnership by Ohio State Mansfield and New Directions to help students stay on track and achieve success.

Are the services really confidential?

All contact with Dr. Wagner or his colleagues is personal and private. Information cannot be shared with anyone without voluntary written release. Exceptions to confidentiality, as required by law, occur when a person is a danger to themselves or others or cases involving child or elder abuse.

How does someone know if he or she needs to use these services?

You may want to talk with someone if you:

  • Spend most of the day worrying about a particular problem
  • Spend a lot of energy denying a problem
  • Your education, health, or family life is affected by a specific problem
  • Find yourself relying on drugs or alcohol to get through the day
  • Realize you have a problem, but do not know where to go for help
  • Feel sad, anxious or unhappy most of the time
  • Feel some aspects of your life are unmanageable
  • Have experienced changes in your sleep or appetite

Your school performance provides other clues about seeking assistance. You may consider asking for help if you:

  • Have trouble concentrating
  • Miss deadlines
  • Experienced a decline in academic performance
  • Often miss classes

What do I do if I recognize a friend is in crisis?

Please feel free to consult with Dr. Wagner. If you are concerned about your friend's immediate well-being or the safety of others, contact Donna L. Hight, Ph.D., Chief Student Life Officer immediately at (419) 755-4034.