“SMART” connects students interested in exploring their future at The Ohio State University at Mansfield, as well as its surrounding community. The SMART Learning Communities support first-year students within the University Exploration program by allowing them to identify a different path to achieve their goals. Students will select one of the following two paths designed to help them discover how to make their academic, professional and social goals.
How can SMART help me?
- Regular academic advising
- Conversations with faculty members from various disciplines to discuss different career paths
- Tours to explore campus resources that support personal and academic success
- Campus and community activities
- Bi-monthly meeting with the campus Retention Coordinator
- Access to internship and scholarship opportunities
- Discussions about personal strengths using leadership assessment surveys
- Service within the Mansfield and Richland County communities
New Generation Scholars (NGS) Learning Community:
This path is for incoming first-generation first-year students. The New Generation Scholars (NGS) SMART Learning Community will provide a learning environment in which students can gain knowledge of the university structure and language.
Buckeye Scholars of Color (BSC) Learning Community:
The path is for students of color who are looking to successfully transition in an environment that may look different than their high schools and neighborhoods. The BSC program is designed to encourage its participants to actively embrace their uniqueness, with the understanding that a diverse learning environment benefits everyone.
What do I need to do?