The English minor prepares students to think critically about texts to construct sound arguments based on evidence; to write elegantly and persuasively; and to understand the historical and cultural contexts in which texts are produced, disseminated, and received. It consists of five undergraduate courses for a minimum of 15 total credit hours. Courses that fulfill minor requirements may also be used to fulfill the university's General Education requirements.
- Complete a total of five English courses for a minimum of 15 total credit hours.
- Complete at least one of the Department of English's upper-division writing courses: English 3304, 3305, 3398, 3405, 3467S, or 4567S.
- Complete at least one literature course in the Department of English. Students should consult with an English Undergraduate Advisor if they are unsure of whether a particular course is considered a literature course. They can contact English Coordinator, Cynthia Callahan at email@example.com or (419) 755-4242, or English advisor Chris Cover Paterson at firstname.lastname@example.org or (419) 755-4135. Writing, film, folklore, popular culture, digital media, and theory courses, for example, are not considered literature courses.
- Complete at least three courses at the 3000-level or above. These three may include the upper-division writing course and the literature course mentioned above.
- No more than two transfer courses may be applied to the English minor.
- While a grade of C- will be permitted in courses comprising the English minor, the overall grade point average for the minor must be a 2.0 or higher.
- Courses taken on a Pass/Non-Pass basis cannot be applied to the English minor.
Minor Courses That Overlap with GE Requirements
- English 2367 (any decimal version) fulfills the university's Second-Level Writing requirement and can be used on the English minor.
- English 2201, 2202, 2220, 2260, 2261, 2262, 2275, 2280, 2281, 2290, 2291, 3361,and 3372 fulfill the Arts and Humanities Literature requirement. These courses can also fulfill Open Option requirements.
- English 2263 and 2269 fulfill the Arts and Humanities Visual/Performing Arts requirement. These courses can also fulfill Open Option requirements.
- English 2264, 2270, 2271, 2276, 2277, 2282, 3364, and 3378 fulfill the Arts and Humanities Cultures and Ideas requirement. These courses can also fulfill Open Option requirements.
- English 4597.01, 4597.02, and 4597.04 fulfill the Open Options requirements.