Major and Minor
At this time students cannot complete the theatre major on the Mansfield Campus. However, you can make significant progress toward the major here and then continue your study on main campus or at another four year institution. To learn more about the theatre major on main campus, please go to The Ohio State University Theatre Department.
Any Ohio State student who is not major in Theatre but wishes to extend their knowledge of the Theatre may undertake a Theatre minor. Minoring in Theatre, students are welcome and encouraged to audition and participate in all aspects of our production season.
The Theatre minor consists of 15 units tailored to meet the needs and interests of the individual student. To get started on the Theatre minor, students should check with the Theatre Undergraduate Studies Coordinator to find out about course offerings, frequency of Theatre courses. To complete the minor, students may choose from any of the Theatre offerings that are open, including practicum and production courses. Students may choose to specialize in one aspect of Theatre or take an array of different Theatre subjects. However, students still have to observe prerequisites.
Arts and Sciences minor program guidelines
The following guidelines govern this minor:
- Required for graduation: No
- Credit hours required: A minimum of 15 credits. All courses must be at the 2000 level or above. A minimum of 6 units must be at the 3000 level or above. No more than 3 hours of X193 and X194 course work may be used on the minor.
- Transfer credit hours allowed: No more than one half of the credit hours required of the minor.
- Overlap with the GE: Permitted
- Overlap with the major: The minor must be in a different subject than the major. No courses may count on the minor and on the major.
- Overlap between minors: Each minor completed must contain unique hours.
Minimum C- for a course to be counted on the minor.
Minimum 2.00 cumulative point-hour ratio required for the minor.
Course work graded Pass/Non-Pass cannot count on the minor.
After the Department of Theatre has approved your Minor Program Form, the student must file the form with their college or school advisor.
Filing the minor program form
The minor program form must be filed at least by the time the graduation application is submitted to a college/school counselor.
Changing the minor
Once the minor program is filed in the college office, any changes must be approved by the Department of Theatre.